Friday, September 24, 2010

Mathematics and Early Childhod Educator

This course has helped me to view Mathematics in a wider perspective- Mathematics is Problem Solving. Knowing and understanding the curriculum framework of Mathematics in Primary School, I am aware of the importance of building solid foundation in Preschool Education.

How do I apply that awareness in my teaching practises to young children?
  • introducing children proper Mathematical Language, such as, take away.
  • use clear, complete and 'make sense' language when explaining, teaching, or giving instructions- for example; when teaching about the concept of Ordinal (position) number of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, the teacher asks (after drawing on the board), "Children, can you tell me which ball will reach to the finishing line first? Is it A, B, or, C?". -- What do you think of the question posed to the children? Do you think it is appropriate? (A ball is not able to roll by itself, without someone kicking or rolling it, and this has to be conveyed to the children). Therefore, using balls as an example to teach Ordinal Number concept is not appropriate.
I strongly agree with what our dearest friend said, Jerome Burner, that children should be brought into three stages in teaching Mathematics; Concrete- Pictorial- Abstract. Therefore, as an early childhood educator, it is necesseary to provide developmentally-age appropriate concrete materials for children.

  • give opportunities to children to build on critical thinking skill by providing concrete materials
  • teaching Mathematical concepts through Literature (story books)- Pictorial
This module has been an eye-opener for me, especially in understanding how Mathematical concepts can be taught to young children.

Here is an article that talks about the connection of Math and young children;

http://www.walearning.com/articles/math-language-and-young-children/

I am currently working on my Action Research assignment, which topic is on evaluating Math learning corner set-up in enhancing children’s independent learning using a lesson study. I am gathering all my research data and materials at the moment, and looking forward to apply all those knowledge which I gained from this Math module, and put them into practises, for this assignment especially.


Throughout this course, I have collected.....................my one and only dearest ONE cookie, =D or =( ??

    No comments:

    Post a Comment